Headquarters Club Kveik Beer Challenge Q4-2019
Thank you for your interest in the Headquarters Club Kveik Beer Challenge Q4-2019 organized by, Campbell California.
You only need to register your information once and can return to this site to enter more brews or edit the brews you've entered.
Entry Registration is Open
1 entries have been added to the system as of 8:21 PM, Friday, September 20, 2019.
To add your entries into the system, please proceed through the registration process or log in if you already have an account.
The next HeadQuarters homebrew club challenge is to brew with Kveik yeast.
It's brewer's choice. Any beer style can be brewed using Kveik yeast.
There is a great deal of information regarding Kveik yeast available on the internet.
For example, the following text extracted from http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Kveik
Kveik cultures have a wide range of fruity aromas, which is a result of above-threshold production of fatty acid esters, such as ethyl decanoate and ethyl caprylate . Richard Preiss from Escarpment Laboratories shared his sensory notes after doing trial fermentations with various kveik strains/cultures. Fermentations were at 30°C in standard wort (1.050, 20IBU) with single strains, not the mixed cultures. 2/3 tasters were blind to the beers and order prior to tasting. This is a single data point on sensory information :
- Sykkylven 1 - clean, fruity, malty, rum-like. big, round, malty, slightly hot
- Sykkylven 2 - subtle fruit, malt accented, slightly lagery-sulfury, lightly floral. medium body
- Laerdal 2 (Laerdal 1 - data not available) - Lightly fruity, slight rubber, floral, sweet taste
- Stranda 1 - citrus, red apple, very clean and dry, balanced
- Stordal (framgarden) 1 - big citrus ester, slightly hot, red apple, floral, malty
- Stordal (framgarden) 2 - red apple, slight crisp/sulfury (pleasant) lagery character, floral, slight tropical fruit, slight tartness
- Stordal (ebbegarden) 1 - rum-like, slightly hot, medium mixed esters, round and malty
- Stordal (ebbegarden) 2 - Christmasy, citrus, red apple, floral, clean and balanced flavour
- Muri 1 (not related to kveik genetically) - Earthy, herbal, sulfury, apple, pear, very slight clove, not super dry despite ridiculous attenuation (~95%)
- Voss (Gjernes) 1 - Orange, floral, balanced flavour, good body
- Voss (Gjernes) 2 - Cidery, floral, slight earthiness, slight orange, clean, dry
- Hornidal 1 - Tropical, pineapple, rum-like, caramel, citrus, balanced malt/hop
- Hornidal 2 - Floral, rose-like, sulfury, orange, rum-like, very malt accented
- Hornidal 3 - Orange, red apple, rum-like, caramel, balanced
- Granvin 1 - Lower intensity orange, red apple, slight pineapple, textbook “Kveiky”, balanced
- Granvin 2 - Balanced esters, not as intense - citrus, slight (pleasant) sulfur, dry and thin
- Granvin 3 - very muted aroma, clean flavour
- Granvin 4 - floral (rose), honey, slight diacetyl, medium-low esters, complex but not necessarily good
- Granvin 5 - light fruit, light floral, rubber, sweet taste.
- Granvin 6 - fruity, floral, rum-like, citrus, slight diacetyl, balanced flavour
- Granvin 7 - Slight fruity, very thin and astringent
You can send an email to any of the following individuals via Contact.
- Roger St. Denis — Competition Coordinator